Mission, Vision, and Values
Our MissionAt the Nell Hodgson Woodruff School of Nursing we strive to:
- Educate visionary nurse leaders and scholars
- Generate and apply knowledge
- Transform nursing, health, and systems of health care within the local and global community
To promote optimal health and wellness for all by creating, changing, and leading through innovative teaching, discovery, nursing practice, and social action in our local and global communities.
- Excellence: We achieve outcomes that are significant and distinctive with persistent commitment to high quality.
- Collaboration: We embrace community, partnerships, mentoring, and diverse perspectives.
- Social Responsibility: We treat all with respect and dignity. We engage with others to positively influence health and social justice.
- Innovation: We create, use, evaluate, and disseminate cutting-edge approaches to advance our mission and vision.
- Leadership: We shape nursing, health care, and the NHWSN through vision, courage, and optimism.
At the School of Nursing we believe that nursing occupies a unique and privileged position of influence and trust in efforts to improve human health. Our core values--excellence, collaboration, social responsibility, innovation, and leadership--provide us with the foundation to shape the future of caring and health. Faculty, students, and staff are collaborative partners in this effort. Their uniqueness and diversity enable the creation of a dynamic and creative learning environment that fosters professional development of integrity, commitment, and respect. Diversity, equity, and inclusion are vital components to the School of Nursing.
The Nell Hodgson Woodruff School of Nursing will:
- Prepare the next generation of highly competent, inquisitive, and caring nurses.
- Solve critical health issues for patient, families, and communities through discovery of new knowledge and innovations.
- Develop visionary leaders to shape the future of nursing and healthcare.
- Engage fully in ethical dialogue and abide by standards of honesty, civility, transparency and fairness.
- Advance interprofessional collaboration and education.
- Foster a vibrant academic community that embraces wellness, cultural sensitivity, diversity and inclusivity.
- Take bold action to cultivate systems of health care where nurses can practice to the full extent of their education and training to improve patient outcomes and advance health.
- Pursue actions that sustain the environment of the local and global community.
Our Strategic Goals for 2015-2020
- Goal 1: Create an outstanding student experience throughout the trajectory from prospective student to alumni.
- Goal 2: Transform nursing science through inquiry, methods, and partnerships.
- Goal 3: Lead in the development of innovative educational programs and teaching-learning methods.
- Goal 4: Become a leader in health policy and advocacy, positively influencing systems of health care delivery and issues of health equity and social justice.
- Goal 5: Lead and model the integration of optimal health and wellness throughout the SON, University, and community.
- Goal 6: Expand the scope and impact of global and community engagement.
Our Primary Strategic Initiatives
- Improve the student experience
- Build capacity for complex data analytics
- Streamline curricular pathways between degrees
- Lead in health promotion and wellness initiatives
- Advance health policy and advocacy activities
- Expand global health and community engagement activities