With the academic advantages you’ll find at the Emory School of Nursing, you’ll be prepared to serve a wide community, shape the future of nursing, and make an impact on patients at home and abroad.
Nationally Ranked University
Emory University is a nationally ranked No. 21 by US News and World Report, and our Nell Hodgson Woodruff School of Nursing is ranked No. 4. Emory’s thriving community of researchers, scholars, and clinicians makes an impact in Atlanta and across the globe.
Internationally Recognized Faculty
The School of Nursing’s faculty impacts lives worldwide—through our research enterprise—and in the classroom. Our faculty include:
- 33 fellows of the American Academy of Nursing
- 2 members of the Institute of Medicine
- 7 fellows of the American College of Nurse-Midwives
- 9 fellows of the American Association of Nurse Practitioners
- 5 Atlanta Business Chronicle Health Care Heroes
- 7 March of Dimes Nurse of the Year recipients
- 1 Georgia Professor of the Year Award winner
- 4 Sigma Theta Tau Nurse Researcher Hall of Fame inductee
Clinical Collaborations with a Difference
With strong ties to leading health care research and clinical sites in the Atlanta area and around the world, our students have the opportunity to train in more than 500 clinical sites across the US including Emory Healthcare, Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta, the Atlanta VA Medical Center, and more.
And at Emory, you don’t need to coordinate your own clinical placement. Our career office takes care of it for you and at no cost, freeing you up to learn and gain experience.
Access to Atlanta
Our students can take advantage of Atlanta, a global city and the business, technology, and health care center of the Southeast. The city offers countless opportunities for research, clinical experience, and employment, enhancing our students’ nursing education. Forbes named Atlanta the No. 1 spot for graduates to live and work.
Intimate Learning Environment
At Emory School of Nursing, we’re known for small classes, a strong student-professor connection, and a collaborative approach to learning. This learning environment benefits our students, and it makes for a close-knit community.
Service Learning Strength
Our curriculum emphasizes service learning, a teaching method that incorporates community service. Take a look at the many ways our students learn by doing.
- Our Lilian Carter Center for Global Health and Social Responsibility has engaged in educational and research programs in more than 107 countries since 2001.
- Each winter, more than 30 faculty and students travel to the Dominican Republic, the Bahamas, and Jamaica through the Alternative Winter Break Program to offer nursing care to vulnerable populations and conduct critical research.
- On average, each student participates in 29 hours of community care each year.
- Since 1994, our students have treated more than 15,000 farm workers and their families through the Farm Worker Family Health Program in Moultrie, Georgia.
- The Lillian Carter Center for Global Health and Social Responsibility received an $8.1 million grant from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation to develop innovative programs to improve maternal and newborn survival in Ethiopia.
Global Health Insight
Emory nursing students gain a global perspective through our extensive study abroad and travel education opportunities through our Lillian Carter Center for Global Health and Social Responsibility. The Lillian Carter Center for Global Health and Social Responsibility offers global nursing programs for Emory nursing students, providing experience working with underserved populations around the world. During the next decade, the center’s goal is to become an international model for integrating service learning and social responsibility into school curricula and research programs.
Strategic priorities include:
- Increasing global health nursing research
- Expanding student awareness of global health issues
- Enhancing the visibility of community partners
- Increasing collaborations with academic global health programs at Emory and beyond
- Offering at least one global experience for every student